Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Coastal 290 Anchor Help

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
cjacobsen
Vessel Info: 2003 Wellcraft 290 Coastal

Coastal 290 Anchor Help

Postby cjacobsen » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:29 pm

Hi there. New member. New Wellcraft owner.

I've been reconditioning a 2003 Coastal and it had a Danforth 1300 with a bent shank. I live in Southern California and anchor typically in sand with some kelp and rocks at some outer islands. 25' of water exposed to open swell. I've had a 30' Pursuit for a few years with a plow and it had held well through swells and wind changes while I am off the boat for hours at a time surfing. I'd love to stick with the plow but had read about some difficulties due to the pulpit on the coastal.

I've read on a forum that the pulpit was designed around the danforth - so stick with it. And I've also heard the pulpuit was designed for a plow? In searching pretty much every photo I can online I see mostly Danforths, but also a few plows on bows of 290s. Yesterday, I picked up a Rocna 10 and gave it a try but it seemed the shank was too short and also too wide to really fit and therefore it was hanging too low.

Has anyone here gone through this journey? If I need to go to the danforth I shall, but I also did a stroll through my marina and looked at everyone's anchor here and the plow was #1 followed by a bruce type followed by a danforth. So, would love to find a plow that fits snugly.

Two anchors that seem to potentially have a longer and thinner shank - at least from my observation of online pictures - are the Mantis 1 and the Hurricane- however they have that circular shaft for if they land upside down and I don't know if they would interfere with the pulpit. And I've never seen either of these in person. I have a nearby West Marine so have only seen their selection of Rocna's and Lewmars, etc that weren't on the bow of a vessel.

Thanks for any help.

-christian

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Re: Coastal 290 Anchor Help

Postby CptBill » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:22 pm

Seams like the solution to the problem would be to find someone with the anchor you thinking about and ask if you can see if it will fit correctly, though I will admit that might be a little harder than it sounds
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Topic author
cjacobsen
Vessel Info: 2003 Wellcraft 290 Coastal

Re: Coastal 290 Anchor Help

Postby cjacobsen » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:35 pm

I've gone with a 25lb mantus. Boat has been in a yard getting work done but will see how it goes once she's back and I can play around with this. The mantus seemed to have the longest shaft to match the danforth that was with the boat. Still a number of inches shorter but it was longer than the delta anchors I had tried fitting in there.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”