Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Stringers

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
steve.flikkema
Vessel Info: 2002 Wellcraft Coastal 330 8.1 Horizons

Stringers

Postby steve.flikkema » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:46 pm

I have a 2002 Costal 330, and have owned it for 5 years. I purchase the boat knowing from a survey that the inner two stringers were bad.
Its was at that time we pulled the motors and repaired the inner stringers. There was no evidence from my knowledge that the outers were bad at that time. We developed a couple oil leaks on the engines so we pulled them to have them gone trough. The 8.1 horizons have around 1100 hours on them and we felt its was time. After pulling them We found that the outer and the mid stingers are bad too. We have an estimate for around $30,000 for the 6 stringers new hoses and repaint engine compartment. Repair is new epoxy not wood, as the inners were too. My question could we drill and fill with epoxy for cheaper and would you recommend it-Here are a couple pics of the boat 5 yeas ago when we repaired the inners stringers
IMG_2448.JPG
IMG_2487.JPG

Hope you can give me some advise or direction Thanks Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Re: Stringers

Postby CptBill » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:53 am

Welcome Aboard, In theory you could probably do that. If I was going to try that I think I would cut the tops of the stringers off, get all the rotted wood out then fill them with many thin layers of fiberglass with cloth or epoxy with cloth so you don't get get to much heat build up at one time. Good luck :-D
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”