Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Transom material

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
rramjet1945
Vessel Info: 2000 - 2400 Martinique, Volvo 5.0L, Volvo Penta Duoprop I/O

Transom material

Postby rramjet1945 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:59 pm

I have a 2000 Wellcraft Martinique 2400 with a Volvo Penta 5.0L duo prop I/O. My question is, does anyone know for certain if there is wood in the transom? There seems to be very vague information about when Wellcraft stopped using wood in the transom construction. I am getting a bit of water in the aft bilge and one local boat mechanic suspects rotten wood in the transom. The various rubber boots associated with the outdrive were replaced about a year ago and seem to be in great condition. Sitting at anchor, I can hear water running into the bilge. After about 5 minutes or so, there is enough water to cause the automatic bilge pump to run. I'm hoping that rotten wood is not the problem as that would be about a $3500 repair to replace the transom. Any suggestions about what else to look for?
2000 - 2400 Martinique
Volvo 5.0L
Volvo Penta Duoprop I/O

Wess
Vessel Info: 2002 Martinique 3300

Re: Transom material

Postby Wess » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:31 pm

I'm sure you checked any seacocks and lines associated with them. I have one for each motor and one for the A/C. I would just sit down in the hull and attempt to find out the source. If your pumps are on in 5 mins, it should obvious. Go down into the berth and pull up the floor access doors and check them out. Check your Hull/Scupper flappers.

Topic author
rramjet1945
Vessel Info: 2000 - 2400 Martinique, Volvo 5.0L, Volvo Penta Duoprop I/O

Re: Transom material

Postby rramjet1945 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:51 pm

Thanks, discovered the problem was a leaking “Y” apparatus that routes the exhaust so it goes out through the out drive. Did as you suggested and saw where the water was coming in. Have now pulled the motor and the part is ordered. Discovered that the transom does not have wood in it and is composite layers of fiberglass. Part is about $450, so not as big a deal as I thought it might be! Yea!
2000 - 2400 Martinique
Volvo 5.0L
Volvo Penta Duoprop I/O

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”