Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1988 Gran Sport Waste valve line up?

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author
Jersey Joe
Vessel Info: 1988 Gran Sport 3400

1988 Gran Sport Waste valve line up?

Postby Jersey Joe » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:21 pm

I own a 1988 Gran Sport and discovered a few hoses and valves in a hatch just outside the head and below the rear berthing area. I have another hatch just aft of this one that contains the thru-hull (and strainer) for the A/C, and the thru-hull (no strainer) for the toilet flush. My confusion is with this fwd hatch and the source and direction of flow. See attached picture. The upper short hose, above/after the closed red valve handle just drains into this bilge space. Can anyone tell me what these three hoses are from top to bottom and if the valve lineup is correct? Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Re: 1988 Gran Sport Waste valve line up?

Postby Billm » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:33 pm

Without more info., I can only speculate. Definitely looks like something previous owner installed. Some of those fittings look like they came from hardware store. The grey plastic fittings look like qest which were used on water pipes at that time. I don’t think it has anything to do with wastewater. 1 and 3 (and maybe 2) look like clear plastic hose for potable water and not at all suitable for wastewater. Does the red valve connect to that small piece that dead ends? If not, then I think it is something that was abandoned. I think 1 is a feed from a fresh water tank. 2 and 3 could go to a shower on deck or ice maker in cockpit or toilet inlet plumbed for fresh water. Red valve might be for draining potable water tank for winter storage. Probably a reason it is red. No waste water setup would ever have a valve that drains into bilge. I would start by cleaning off the mold to see the true colors of those hoses. Try to trace them with a flashlight and mirror. You may need cut in a small inspection port somewhere. I have a small TV camera I use. Another trick is to stick your cell phone in somewhere and take a picture. Once you determine where each hose goes, then you can decide the valve positions.

Topic author
Jersey Joe
Vessel Info: 1988 Gran Sport 3400

Re: 1988 Gran Sport Waste valve line up?

Postby Jersey Joe » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:56 pm

Thanks very much. Everything you said makes complete sense to me now. Yes, the red handle valve at the top allows all the hoses to drain into the small hose that dumps into the corner of the space. Draining the potable water tank (clean hose #1) for winterization makes complete sense. I also agree that the two remaining hoses could not be from the waste tank as you would never drain waste into a bilge under the main cabin floor that has a cover with a hole in it. You've been a big help. Thanks again. Have a great boating season in 2021.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”