Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Delco EST wiring

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author
wufibugs
Vessel Info: 1989 Wellcraft 170

Delco EST wiring

Postby wufibugs » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:53 am

Upgrading the points ignition on my 89 Mercruiser 181 cid to the EST pointless ignition. The EST distributor has two plugs, one from the coil and the other from the module, has 4 pins. The setup I got had the coil to distributor harness, but did not have the harness for the 4 pin male plug that goes to the HEI module. I got a standard 4 pin female harness. What I know is that in run mode, this plug only uses one wire/pin. In timing mode, it uses 3 wire/pins. The problem I'm having is which ones in each mode. The first diagram just shows how the pins/wires are labeled. I searched the internet and ultimately came up with a series of diagrams that seem to contradict one another. In the second diagram nothing is labeled, but the position of the wires makes it appear that in run mode the single wire used goes from module pin R to the shift interrupter. In timing mode, pin R is instead connected to a 12v source and the jumpered wires are pins G and B. The latter seems logical because in timing mode, the advance function is disabled by grounding via pin G. However the third diagram shows the wiring in reverse: in timing mode the jumpered wires are R and E, and the 12v source is B. In run mode, B would apparently be the wire to the shift interrupter [which happens to be white/green]. The fourth picture is of the EST distributor in timing mode and shows the jumpered wires in what would be the R & E location.
If any one can clarify this for me, I would be eternally, well at least grateful for life.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Electrical”