Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1991 Wellcraft St Tropez 3300. House Battery Bank

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author
SilveryMoon
Vessel Info: 1991 St Tropez 3300

1991 Wellcraft St Tropez 3300. House Battery Bank

Postby SilveryMoon » Tue May 11, 2021 5:43 pm

We just purchased an 1991 wellcraft st tropez. TWin 350 inboards. There are only 2 starting batteries and I would like to add a house bank of batteries.
There is an electric panel under the stairs going into the cabin with a battery select switch, off, battery 1, both, battery 2.
There is a location in this panel to install a second switch.
Is there a wiring diagram available that will help me ensure I add the house bank correctly.
20210506_121848.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Re: 1991 Wellcraft St Tropez 3300. House Battery Bank

Postby Billm » Tue May 11, 2021 7:03 pm

Why go to all that trouble? A quality group 24 deep cycle battery will start those inboards just fine. Always select one battery or the other never both. Is that hourmeter for a generator? Then your generator can recharge the battery not in use.

Topic author
SilveryMoon
Vessel Info: 1991 St Tropez 3300

Postby SilveryMoon » Wed May 12, 2021 9:26 am

The meter is for the engine hours. We spend our summer on the boat staying at anchor for several days at a time. We are adding solar panels and a house bank so that we can do that. We have done the same on our previous boats.
I was actually surprised that this boat did not have a house bank to start with.
We do not have a generator.

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P

Postby CptBill » Sat May 15, 2021 2:23 pm

First I'll say this, if it where me I'd add a generator instead if more battery's. Now you can add and another batt. switch but the problem is going to be how to charge all these battery's. 1 engine charges 1 battery at a time also adding or replacing a battery charger then there's the solar charger. Boat US or the ABYC web sites should have all the requirements for adding battery's and all the switches and other stuff your going to need. Today line of generators are very quiet and fuel efficient
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Postby Billm » Fri May 21, 2021 9:52 am

Got it. That long foredeck will be ideal for solar cells. You never feel claustrophobic in the boat, even in the rain.

Return to “Electrical”