Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

290 Coastal Electrical to Windlass

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author
NYBoater
Vessel Info: 2005 290 Coastal

290 Coastal Electrical to Windlass

Postby NYBoater » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:14 pm

Have a 2005 290 Coastal. Have had issues with the windlass (Maxwell Freedom 500) ever since I bought the boat a couple years ago. I figured it was just an old windlass..... When pulling anchor up, it sounds like it is struggling, I see the Voltage on my gauges drop, and if I pull too long without giving it a break, it pops the breaker. In shallow water, its not too bad, but if anchoring in 60 + ft of water for fishing its a real chore to get the anchor back up.

Finally getting around to replacing it, was going to go with the RC6-8. But as I started looking into it, I think my problem might be undersized cables to the windlass. It all looks original OEM, but cable is undersized per windlass manual. I only have AWG 4 cables. And when you add up the distance from the batter to switch, switch to windlass, windlass to neg terminal, neg terminal back to battery, its around 60'. the freedom 500 and the RC6-8 would need a min AWG 2 cable for that distance.

Anyone else had this issue? Or what size cable do you have on the 290 coastal to the windlass?

A1251
Vessel Info: 1993 Coastal 2600 F300

Re: 290 Coastal Electrical to Windlass

Postby A1251 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:57 am

I agree that your issue is the cables. I would leave the windlass and replace the wiring and see what happens. Issue is undersized wiring can damage the windlass but the cables will need to be changed either way.

mtabares
Vessel Info: 2012 Coastal 290

Re: 290 Coastal Electrical to Windlass

Postby mtabares » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:21 am

2012 Coastal 290 here.

It's also possible that the current demands of the windlass increased as it aged.... more friction from the bearings, gearing, etc.

In general though I think that there are areas where Wellcraft was too conservative with wiring size. Thankfully they did a good job of protecting the wiring everywhere with the right breaker/fuse sizes. I'm tracking a problem currently where current stops flowing to the house circuits from the engines when houe batteries are depleated. Current working theory is that wiring and the self-reset breaker is undersized for the charge rate that AGM batteries are able to accept.

Return to “Electrical”