Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

windlass main breaker 1997 33 coastal

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author
pipeguy
Vessel Info: 1997 33 wellcraft coastal

windlass main breaker 1997 33 coastal

Postby pipeguy » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:15 am

Hello fellow Wellcrafters. I have a 1997 33 Coastal and am tracing a problem with the main voltage to the Maxwell 600 windlass. Solenoid is pulling in just fine, but I have no line voltage to the solenoid. I know where the red circuit breaker is in the cabin panel, is there one I'm missing? Going to pull the panel today to verify power to that 80 amp breaker, but it doesn't appear tripped from looking at it from outside panel. Any help would be appreciated, thanks, PipeGuy

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Re: windlass main breaker 1997 33 coastal

Postby CptBill » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:23 pm

When I had a problem with mine I found a circuit breaker wrapped in the wire loom near the batt. but of course mine is a 270. I will also add the my windless is wired the opposite way I would have done it
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Topic author
pipeguy
Vessel Info: 1997 33 wellcraft coastal

Re: windlass main breaker 1997 33 coastal

Postby pipeguy » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:17 pm

Thanks CptBill, I ended up tracing backwards from the electrical panel in the cabin and found no other fuselinks or breakers. I removed the screws on the electrical control panel with the 60 amp main DC cabin breaker and the 80 amp windlass breaker, and found I had voltage into the breaker butt not out. I didn't suspect this breaker at first because when pressed it acted as if it was set. I put a towel down and sprayed the breaker repeatedly with WD 40, and after a good soaking the breaker magically "clicked" when pressed. The windlass seems to be working fine, and I'm on the hunt for a new breaker just to have. Thank you for getting back to me. As a footnote, Maxwell Windlass in New Zealand was great about getting me info on a windlass that was first made in 1992, and is no longer manufactured.

Return to “Electrical”