Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

30 amp splitter question

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author
GaryS
Vessel Info: 2015 Wellcraft Coastal 290

30 amp splitter question

Postby GaryS » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi all. I recently purchased a 2015 Coastal 290 and have been spending this cold Maine winter preparing for our return to boating in the spring. Our manual indicates that the boat is equipped with two 30 amp shore power cords. Are the two cords necessary, or can I use one cord with a 30 amp male to 2 female splitter? Another question, not electrical, this is our first boat with outboards and wondering if it is best to use the tilt support lever and retract the trim rods at all times such as when anchoring for the night, or is the tilt support lever generally used for longer periods when away from the boat. Thanks for any input!

boardman74
Vessel Info: 1990 Portofino 4300

Re: 30 amp splitter question

Postby boardman74 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:53 pm

Normally one of the 30 amp inlets is for the A/C and the other is for everything else. You likely can run everything combined to 1 30 amp cord unless you are running everything at once and hitting it hard. Such as: its hot out and the A/c is on max, the fridge is running and then you use the microwave. If you try it check the cord for heat. If your overloading the shore cord will het hot.

As to your motor...when I lived in Florida and ran big center consoles I was always told by the dealer that there was no need for the manual lot trim lock even when trailering. They said in the salt/ brackish environment they get stiff and often want to lock in the down position if used. You might consider it for longterm(winter) storage but you don't need it over night or likely during the season.

Topic author
GaryS
Vessel Info: 2015 Wellcraft Coastal 290

Re: 30 amp splitter question

Postby GaryS » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:14 pm

Thank you boardman74. Very helpful. I suppose a splitter is not necessary since I now realize that it is possible to power the shore 2 circuit with the transfer switch. That will have the same effect as the splitter and both approaches require monitoring load as not to overheat the cord or under power the circuit. Ideally, and as the manufacturer intends, two cords seem to be the way to go.
Again, thanks for the input.

Return to “Electrical”