Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Automotive Engine Base for 3.0L 181ci Mercruiser

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author
pjaec001
Vessel Info: 1995 Excel 19 SX Bowrider Inboard/Outboard 3.0L Mercruiser Alpha One Outdrive
Seawater use in Virginia Beach, VA
3rd Owner with unknown hours (estimated at 450h)

Automotive Engine Base for 3.0L 181ci Mercruiser

Postby pjaec001 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:23 pm

I know there are differences in Marine and Automotive Engines and I know what those important reasons are, but I am curious as to what the automotive equivalent is to the 3.0L 181ci 4cylinder Mercruiser Engine is.
I know its a GM Motor, but cant seem to find one that matches up by any GM years, makes, or models.
Anyone here know?

I recently just replaced my starter on this and did so with the proper marine rated starter, but was curious as to what the cost would have been using the automotive one.
I also tend to need to replace the starter relay frequently and want to see if there is a difference in the marine or auto version.

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Re: Automotive Engine Base for 3.0L 181ci Mercruiser

Postby CptBill » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:39 pm

You'll need to get the # off the block and look it up in a cross ref. chart or just put it in the www and see what comes up. The basic block is the same it's all the add on stuff that makes the difference. Of course some blocks are a little different when you get into the bigger motors, things like 4 bolt main bearings and so on, also' most of the time they use engine platforms that are designed for trucks not cars.
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

04FXdwgi
Vessel Info: None yet.
Looking to purchase a 252 Coastal with twin Yamaha 150 Salt OX66's

Postby 04FXdwgi » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:24 am

The 3.0 / 181 was an engine used in the Chevy II Nova (was a 151 in the car), back in the 70's. Basically 1/2 of a 327 engine and some of the parts of a 327 fit. I had one in an 18' Bayliner Eagle and rebuilt it with some 327 internal parts and a hotter cam. Was a great little engine.

Pretty rare to find a good auto one these days. I would say your best bet would be to get used (but good) one from a place like fleabay or Craigslist

Daddubo99
Vessel Info: 2000 Excaliber 26' W/MPI 454

Postby Daddubo99 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:16 pm

The biggest difference is brass freeze plugs, and stainless-steel head gaskets and the V-8's have 4 bolt mains.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”