Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Propellers

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author
Kallewell
Vessel Info: 1996 Wellcraft Eclipse 2150

Propellers

Postby Kallewell » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi guys!

I'm new in here, from Norway.
In 2006 I bought a 1996 model 2150 Wellcraft Eclipse with Volvo Penta 5,0 FL with Cobra SX drive. Engine power is 190hp.
Last summer, my engine broke down, and I bought a new one, same engine, just modified to about 305 hp.
Mounted it this season, and was hoping for 50 knop (app 57 mph).
Earlier, with 190hp it went maybe 40 knop.
With my new engine, we have tried different propellers. Different sizes and picth.
The new engine is supposed to run at about 4800rpm.

With my alu propeller 14 1/4x21, my originale propeller in steel 14 1/2,x20, the boat went maybe 42-43 knop.
There was no problem to reach 4800 rpm alone in the boat, or with 5 people. Means that there is more potentiale in the engine and boat.
I borrowed a steel propeller 14 1/2x25. That wass TO heavy. Reached only 4000 rpm, and acceleration was horrible!
Just orderer a new one, steel, 14 1/2x22, haven't got it yet.
But the BIG problem is that the boat seems to not lift itself from the water.
When I'm at 3000 rpm, I can trim the drive, and lift the boat from the water, leaving as little as possible of the boat in the water. That means I will reach higher topspeed. But when at 4000rpm and more, the boat doesn't lift, and you can feel the whole boat beeing in the water. This means it will go slower. When I trim the drive more, it makes a big roostertail instead of lifting the front.

Anybody here that knows anything about this..?

Hoping someone can help me out with this :)

Return to “General Boating Discussion”