Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2020 Wellcraft 162: Thoughts and issues, (motor height problem)

This is a place for general Wellcraft Boats discussions.

Topic author
rfriesen
Vessel Info: 2020 162 Fisherman
Virginia Beach, VA

Re: 2020 Wellcraft 162: Thoughts and issues, (motor height problem)

Postby rfriesen » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:36 pm

Very glad for you, that you have not had these problems. Yeah, the all around light is a problem looking for a solution. I have not come up with a better way to do it than they found, though.
Very happy to hear the problems with my boat are isolated

EMFL
Vessel Info: Wellcraft 162F with a Yamaha F70

Postby EMFL » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:52 pm

rfriesen, I wonder if it has something to do with the engine choice? I don’t see any listed for sale in my area with a Mercury. Could it be the factory has less experience with them and would the steering also be different with those?

By the way I got an extra cup holder of the same variety in white for the helm and they’re only $6. They definitely could’ve come up with a better solution for the rear seats’ cup holders.
2019 162F with a Yamaha F70

Topic author
rfriesen
Virginia Beach, VA

Postby rfriesen » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:54 am

Sorry I did not reply sooner. Wasn't notified!
The Merc 60CT is one of the common engine choices as far as I can see.

The seizing of the steering is totally gone now that I moved the motor to where it should be.
The boat is pretty happy with having the AV plate right at the base of the keel......and not 1.5" below the keel as the factory installed it.

Very unhappy with Wellcraft for sending this boat out that way, and the dealer is just plain bad.....horrible dealer!

Moving the motor to the correct height is not hard. If you have the same trailer as I do, just need wrenches and some sealant.

EMFL
Vessel Info: Wellcraft 162F with a Yamaha F70

Postby EMFL » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:19 pm

My steering seized completely. Last trip out it loosened after a few minutes of the motor being on, but now it is completely seized. May be a quality issue. I’m taking it in tomorrow since it should be under warranty. Our boat is garage kept and rinsed after each use so I feel this shouldn’t happen. It appears they are no longer offering this model based on their website. The fuel tank is also cracking/flaking.
2019 162F with a Yamaha F70

Topic author
rfriesen
Virginia Beach, VA

Postby rfriesen » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:06 pm

Sorry, not getting notifications. ?I am only a few years late!

Did you get the steering problem resolved?
Moving my motor up fully resolved steering lockup issue for me. No more problems in almost 2 years.
You should see the before and after videos of the spray coming up around the engine. Night and day!

Return to “Wellcraft Boats Forum”