Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2020 Wellcraft 162: Thoughts and issues, (motor height problem)

This is a place for general Wellcraft Boats discussions.

LMK
Vessel Info: 2003 270 Coastal
Twin 225 Yamaha

Re: 2020 Wellcraft 162: Thoughts and issues

Postby LMK » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:18 am

rfriesen wrote:Source of the post No problem. Giving the dealer a chance to work on this issue before I consider replacement.
Question: Do the systems you installed have any exposed components? Rams?
The water issue make me hope for a system without a ram that can corrode.
I will do some research. Thank you for the reply!

Good question, the system itself is a sealed hydraulic system. There is a ram that moves the motor. It is exposed to the front of the motor and it is robust and built for the environment.

Topic author
rfriesen
Vessel Info: 2020 162 Fisherman
Virginia Beach, VA

Postby rfriesen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:57 pm

Thanks for taking the time, LMK! I appreciate it.
I do like the idea of hydraulic steering, and may consider it once I get the other bugs worked out.
Wish there a system with no exposed ram at the motor, but I now know my bad experience with the steering freezing WAS caused by the motor being mounted too low.

I moved it up 1.5" over the weekend and did a test ride today. The water coming over the transom is almost gone! It also boosted my top speed from 29, average 27, to a new top speed of 34, average about 32. This is also the first time i have seen the tachometer register above 5100 or so. It went up to 5750. Steering is bit lighter, getting on plane is much faster, and the boat just rides better! there is still a little bit of water coming over the anti-splash plate, and a fair amount of water going over the anti-ventilation plate, so I'm going to move it up another 3/4-in.
Last edited by rfriesen on Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
rfriesen
Virginia Beach, VA

Postby rfriesen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:59 pm

I knew absolutely nothing about motor height before this. The dealer kept insisting I was trimming incorrectly. Now that I see the proof, I am fully convinced this was the entire problem.

LMK
Twin 225 Yamaha

Postby LMK » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:50 pm

That is great!! Glad you got it working well!!

Topic author
rfriesen
Virginia Beach, VA

Re: 2020 Wellcraft 162: Thoughts and issues, (motor height problem)

Postby rfriesen » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:20 am

Thank you!
I did move the motor up another 3/4" from the last position. That would be 2.25" total above where the factory mounted it.
It ran very well, but dropped my top speed by about 2mph, and prop sucked a little air in a top speed turn.
Other than that, temperature was still excellent and there was even less water spray, although it was totally acceptable at 1.5" above factory mounting.
I dropped it back down to 1.5" above factory mounting and need to do another test run. Thisa seems to be the sweet spot for this boat/motor combination.

Steering seized up again while the boat was sitting, not bad, but it shows me there is corrosion in the tilt-tube/steering cable.
Intend to ask the factory for a replacement cable. The original cable has some small kinks it it anyway.

Also, the Bilge pump breaker, which the dealer said was just "tripped", is bad. It has not worked since the dealer last worked on it.
My multi-meter cannot see a closed circuit no matter what I do.
I ordered a replacement 5 amp breaker from an online dealer. They messed up my order but when I called they offered me a similar direct replacement breaker, and threw in a second one for free.

The new breaker is in and working properly, but when I installed it I noticed the 5-amp breaker for the courtesy lights was also blown. I used the free breaker to replace it, and all is working now.

I guess the breakers dont like the salt environment in the bilge, caused by the excessive spray of the motor being too low and the bilge not working.
Last edited by rfriesen on Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LMK
Twin 225 Yamaha

Postby LMK » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:08 pm

Making some headway!!!
I spray all those connections, motor etc. with BoShield T9; it is a good product to shield all that stuff from the elements.

Topic author
rfriesen
Virginia Beach, VA

Postby rfriesen » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:24 pm

Dealer told me to use anti-seize on the steering.
Could that be a problem? I am starting to wonder if it is promoting corrosion, or attracting moisture.
Now that I have the seawater issue resolved, should I go back to Quicksilver grease with PTFE?
Will pick up some Bioshield T9!

LMK
Twin 225 Yamaha

Postby LMK » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:51 pm

Man you got me there - don't know about the grease vs. anti-seize. I have always held to the belief that grease is for moving parts & anti-seize is for fasteners BUT I am not a mechanic and the folks you are talking to are. If it were me I would use grease.

Found this online:

Where should you not use anti seize?
When not to use anti-seize
Do not use anti-seize as a lubricant such as on caliper slide pins or on threads for a bushing press or any mechanical assembly that requires a lubricant.

Topic author
rfriesen
Virginia Beach, VA

Postby rfriesen » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:03 pm

Well, they were not smart enough to figure out the motor height issue, which is the majority of the problems on this boat. Plus, they left me with bad circuit breakers. I think I will go back to grease.

EMFL
Vessel Info: Wellcraft 162F with a Yamaha F70

Postby EMFL » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:05 pm

I have this boat with the Yamaha F70 motor. I have not experienced the major issues you’ve documented. Even the cup holders have held up well. The one issue I had was the cover for the all around light plug broke off and doesn’t seem sturdy seeing that you lift that whole section to refuel.
Last edited by EMFL on Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 162F with a Yamaha F70

Return to “Wellcraft Boats Forum”