Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Help! Which one to buy?

This is a place for general Wellcraft Boats discussions.

Topic author
jn1965
Vessel Info: 1988 2800 Monte Carlo or something like it

Help! Which one to buy?

Postby jn1965 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:49 am

Hey everyone. I have a choice to make. I am looking at two boats and I need help in deciding which one to get.
#1 is a 1988 28 foot Monte Carlo with 2 5.0 engines. One was replaced and one was rebuilt both have about 10 hours on them. The boat has 1300 hours on it in total. The cabin is in decent shape and everything works. I am going to have this one surveyed over the weekend. Seller wants $13,500 including the trailer. She is set up as a family cruiser and has a lot of good features for 1988! Ilike the big swim platform No generator though...
sideview.jpg

20211113_133849.jpg

20211113_134004.jpg

20211113_133923.jpg

#2 is a 1997 24 foot walk around Excel. She has a single 200 HP Mercury outboard. I have not seen this one yet, but the seller wants $14,500 including the trailer. She is set up more for fishing and has more electronics than the Monte
cuddy.png

excelrear.jpg

excelcockpit.jpg

excelcabin.jpg

Here is my situation. I live in the Outer Banks and will want to take this boat out into the sounds and hit some of the islands in the area like Ocracoke or Portsmouth. I also want to take the thing on some overnight trips or atleast long day trips so having a boat that is great at seakeeping is important to me. I am assuming the Monte is a better seakeeper due to the size and weight but I could be wrong.
Both boats have a head though the 24' is a porta potty and the 28' is a flush toilet. The wife and the other girls need this :) Either one will be used mostly as a family hauler with limited fishing as none of us really fish (yet) Family is me and the wife, three adult children and a grandson who is 4. The family only gets down here on a limited basis so having something fun to go out on is a must.

Does anybody own one of these boats? Can you tell me how it handles in the chop and what you like/dislike about your baby. Would you buy it again?

As I said, I looked at the Monte last week and it looked good to my landlubber eyes which is why the survey is being done. I can ask the same guy to survey the 24' if that is a good option.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Re: Help! Which one to buy?

Postby CptBill » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:17 pm

Just sold my 270 coastal because there wasn't enough room in the head for the over night and weekend trips that we do. Just make sure the stringers and transom are good in the 2800
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Return to “Wellcraft Boats Forum”