Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Rebuilding 88 St. Tropaz 32'

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author
Jamesk
Vessel Info: 1988 Wellcraft St Tropez
32' twin 454, 6.7 Owen,
Restoring

Rebuilding 88 St. Tropaz 32'

Postby Jamesk » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:22 pm

Hi there, great forum..
I pick up my 88 32' St Tropaz a couple of months ago.
In process if rebuilding both 454 engines.
Thousands of crack below the water line so I have been sanding off almost all of the gell coat getting ready to paint.
Will also be rebuilding the Owen generator last.
I am going to clean and fill every through hole in the stringers below deck.

No real idea how the head and storage tank works. Some one told me the tank get vacuumed out at the marina.

The circuit board under the step is shot. But I haven't been able to find one to replace it yet.

The boat did come with a full set of manuals so that's been pretty handy.

It's a beutiful boat and I am really exited to get it out to an ocean somewhere, as I am quite landlocked.

Nice to meet you all
James

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Re: Rebuilding 88 St. Tropaz 32'

Postby CptBill » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:23 am

That sounds like a huge project. What type of head is it? electric flush or vacuum flush
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Postby Billm » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:14 pm

The head pumps directly into the holding tank. Then it is pumped out through a two position Y valve that either allows you pump it out overboard through your macerator pump or take it to a pump out facility at a marina. So that is what they meant by being vacuumed out at a marina. They will have a powerful suction hose that attaches to your waste fitting on the gunnel. So first you must locate the Y valve and determine which position it is in before you do anything. Unfortunately the holding tank is only 13 gallons, okay in 1988 when everyone routinely pumped overboard but now everywhere is no discharge zone. I recommend installing a tank monitor. I like the Scad Technologies one. There are 2 seacocks associated with the head system. Make sure they operate freely and the bonding wires are attached okay. It is okay to leave them open when the boat is in the water as long as they are double clamped and the hoses are okay.

I see you are rebuilding engines. Did you pull them? If so, now is the time to replace hoses going to the holding tank. Otherwise they are impossible to reach from the engine compartment. But, there is a way of doing it without pulling engines. If interested, I can tell you how to do it. Maybe a job for another day.

Topic author
Jamesk
32' twin 454, 6.7 Owen,
Restoring

Postby Jamesk » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:05 pm

Thanks for the replies gentlemen
Not sure what type of head it is , I'll do some research.
Everything but the tanks have been pulled from the engine compartment.
Have not seen any y valve or sewage pump.

Did find the heat exchangercoil in the hot water tank was cracked from being frozen. Same with both engine blocks.

I think I should increase the size of the black tank and add the y valve and pump if there isn't one.

I picked this boat up from an auction in Minnesota online.
So being a lake boat I think they would not be allowed to dump anything.

? The fibreglass elbows and straight section on the exhaust system are really cracked up inside. Can I replace them with SS tubing.

? This boat has two large sand bags, one in the engine compartment back port side and one beside the port side passenger seat. What for. They're almost 3' long each

Thanks
James
20210619_154323.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CptBill
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck

Postby CptBill » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:38 pm

That tank is your holding tank and it looks like there's no valve or macerator pump on it , so that would mean its set up for marina pump out only. Easy problem to fix if you want to

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Postby Billm » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:39 pm

You’re lucky, the hose connections are on rear side of tank so that you can get to them. Mine are on the front side, hard to get at. Looks like there is also room to install a larger tank. The white hose is the one that goes to the Y valve. It looks like it is original to the boat and they were not of very good quality. I would replace it with a quality marine sanitation hose like Trident. Make sure the tank is empty before you loosen that lower hose clamp!!! Because it was a lake boat, it may not have had the Y valve and macerator option. I would recommend installing it as a safety for emergency use only. The Y valve and macerator mount on a plywood board in front of the fresh water tank. I can show you a photo of my setup. You will need to add a thru hull below the water line. Do you already have a push button switch and fuse in the head for a macerator?

Topic author
Jamesk
32' twin 454, 6.7 Owen,
Restoring

Postby Jamesk » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:29 pm

Thanks Bill
Your right no maceration pump. I think I am going to add the pump and y valve with through hole. Hopefully a bit larger tank as well.
Just finished rebuilding my first motor. It was a lot of fun learning and completing it.
Sanding all the gel coat off below the water is taking a lot of time.
Would love to see you pump and valve set up
Thanks James

Topic author
Jamesk
32' twin 454, 6.7 Owen,
Restoring

Postby Jamesk » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:34 pm

Anybody have some ideas for strengthen stringers.
Definitely found some rott.
Currently thinks of removing the rot and filling with reinforced epoxy resin

Thanks
James

CptBill
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck

Postby CptBill » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:41 pm

Not uncommon in that year boat, I'm not sure strengthening is the answer. You should test the rest of the stringers to find out how involved it is

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”