Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Introduction New Member

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author
laincp
Vessel Info: 1988 St. Tropez

Introduction New Member

Postby laincp » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:00 pm

Hi there folks:
I am a new kid on the block - trying to become a boater at this late (close to retirement) age!
Originally from Hong Kong (40+ years ago); educated and worked in USA; now a Canadian citizen residing in Toronto, Canada.

I am very new to the boating world and know nothing about powerboats, or sailboats, until beginning of this year that I started looking and researching about power cruisers. I am now very close to complete purchase of a 1988 Wellcraft 32' St. Tropez cruiser. Hence would like to join the Wellcraft owners family to learn more about boats and start networking with the group and potentially join some team activities coming.

Immediate goal is to receive advice and comments from you folks re acquiring of a 1988 St. Tropez, any area to watch out for, and the pros and cons of St. Tropez.

All info appreciated and have a great and safe day!

Alain

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Re: Introduction New Member

Postby Billm » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:24 pm

What price range for starters? How many hours on engines? Original or repower? 260 Mercruisers were a little underpowered but OK. Look for small tanks on top of each engine with radiator caps. That will indicate closed cooling system which is better but not as important if the boat hast always been in Fresh water. Search on this site and read all the comments regarding the St Tropez. If you are a serious buyer, pay to have a marine survey done. He will check structural integrity of the hull. It will be a balance between purchase price and what money you have to spend to put the boat into decent shape. It is a lot of boat for the money. Expect to pay about $20,000 USD for one in good shape. As a 30 year owner of a St. Tropez, I am here to help.

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Postby CptBill » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:41 pm

What Billm said is great advice, Survey for one thing is important on any boat but on older boats with lots of different systems it's a must. On another note 32ft boat is a lot for a starter boat, with twin inboards it's will be easer to maneuver than I/O's or outboards but it's still a lot of boat. I would suggest maybe finding someone that's willing to show you some maneuvering tricks or pay for some lessons
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Topic author
laincp
Vessel Info: 1988 St. Tropez

Postby laincp » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:14 pm

Thanks Bill M and Capt Bill for great advice. The asking price is $16,500 and twin 454 engines are both ~900 hours in good condition. Freshwater boat. Boat needs new bimini top and canvas surrounds with ising glasses. Do you know how much it will cost approx? Owner has done a 2020 survey. Should I ask for a copy? I will follow thru and upload my questions as they come. Much appreciated.
A

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Postby Billm » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:09 pm

Definitely ask for the survey. If you get it, you will have to evaluate the thoroughness of the survey. Maybe do some research on the surveyor’s qualifications. Usually the survey will cover everything except the engines, which are best looked at by a mechanic. Pay special attention to any discussion of the aluminum fuel tanks. If original engines, 900 hours isn’t a lot over 30 years, but is certainly middle aged and may indicate a lot of down time. For new canvas, just get prices from local guys. It will make a big difference if the frames are still there and usable.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”