Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1980 Nova 250 XL

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author
Nova XL
Vessel Info: 1980 Wellcraft 250 Nova XL, twin 260HP Mercruiser stern drives

1980 Nova 250 XL

Postby Nova XL » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:23 pm

Hi, I'm Bill, new to the forum but not to boats. Current project is restoring my 1980 Nova 250 XL. Twin 350 Mercruisers with the original MC1 drives. Drives have been pulled and new gimbal bearings installed but now having alignment issues with the engines. Using the recommended alignment tool but cant get it much past an inch into the coupler. Engines were not removed so I'm confused as to why its out of alignment. Will be replacing the front motor mounts on both as they are corroded to the point there is little to no vertical adjustments. Wondering if anyone has had similar issues and discovered any secrets to the alignment process.

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Re: 1980 Nova 250 XL

Postby CptBill » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:46 pm

Welcome Aboard, I don't mess with Merc. stuff very often, but I will say on the Volvos I do some times the drive shaft o rings will make it difficult to get the shaft in all the way, If the motors weren't pulled the should not be an alignment issue
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Topic author
Nova XL
Vessel Info: 1980 Wellcraft 250 Nova XL, twin 260HP Mercruiser stern drives

Postby Nova XL » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:01 am

Was able to pull the old mounts on the starboard side and discovered they must have collapsed. Each is about 3/4 inch shorter than the new mounts. installed the new mounts and I was able to get the starboard engine aligned with the gimbal bearing. Will have to work on the port side next weekend. But now the problem is that the old holes where the lag screws go are stripped out and the lag won't tighten up. So thinking I may have to fill the holes with JB Weld and re-drill, or go to a larger lag screw.
Old boats............ you gotta love em!

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Postby CptBill » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:36 pm

Check The Stringers, Those years are known for stringer rotten stringers. If there good your plan would work ether way
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”