Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

88 Gran sport Stringers

If you have a project idea or a completed one you would like to show off (major or minor), share it with the rest of us!

Topic author
RMO
Vessel Info: 1988 Gran Sport 340

88 Gran sport Stringers

Postby RMO » Sat May 08, 2021 7:07 am

I picked this boat from the wife of a Gentlemen who passed away, apparently this boat was his passion into his seventies, she didnt want it to sit so I ended up with it. Last in the water in 2019, overall not in bad shape. I do plan on an extensive restoration probably one to two years and of course $$$. I have read that this boat has some inherent stringer / bulk head issues, is this a design flaw or the nature of the beast? has anyone encountered this or have hands on experience ? Any advice/ incite would be apprectiated, keep in mind I am doing the work myself, and do have a lot of mech experience and basic boat knowledge. I have very little invested so far. I fully intend if feasible to keep this boat for many years. Thanks in advance.

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Re: 88 Gran sport Stringers

Postby CptBill » Sat May 08, 2021 3:09 pm

It's not just this boat, a lot of boats from that era were built the same way. They used wood stringers covered in fiberglass after they where installed so after some years of flexing and expansion/contraction bilge water gets to the wood and after 10-15 years the wood rots. The transom is made by laminating sheets of plywood together the gluing it into the fiberglass and then covering the rest in fiberglass, same result as the stringers. It didn't happen to every 80's Wellcraft but it happened a lot and also to a lot of other boats. There's a lot of how to videos' on the web for the fix and a lot of time ,patience and some $$$ but it's very doable if you have some basic skills and can follow instructions, and way cheaper than buying a new boat
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Topic author
RMO

Postby RMO » Sat May 08, 2021 3:13 pm

Great thanks, I thought that was the case, just trying to figure out the best way to identify any deficiencies as I cant see anything visual, no noticeable stress cracks in hull either.

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Postby CptBill » Sun May 09, 2021 1:16 pm

You can do some test drill holes into the stringers and transom from the inside to see if there's any rot or wet wood, it's pretty easy to tell by the wood that's being discharged by the drill bit
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Topic author
RMO

Postby RMO » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:40 pm

Any idea what this is? Loks like some sort of NAV. system.
no idea.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Project Center”