Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

87 Gran Sport Cockpit Re-Do

If you have a project idea or a completed one you would like to show off (major or minor), share it with the rest of us!

Topic author
walawdog
Vessel Info: 1987 Wellcraft Gransport

87 Gran Sport Cockpit Re-Do

Postby walawdog » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:41 am

Hey there everyone. I bought a 1987 Gran Sport and the cockpit was shot. Pretty much there was no seating at all, and the wet bar was rotten to the core. The only thing left was the helm seat. Well, when I started working on the wet bar, I pretty much realized that it all had to come out. So, here are a few pics (if I can figure out how to post them). Has anyone re-done their cockpit with a custom layout? I am looking for ideas. I don't have a super set of skills, so, I am hoping I can make it look decent without having to hire outside help. An upholsterer wanted $600 to just recover the stock helm seat. So, I passed on that.

Cropped full boat.jpg
Helm Seat.jpg
Wet Bar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
walawdog

Re: 87 Gran Sport Cockpit Re-Do

Postby walawdog » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:45 am

Rear Seating Starboard.jpg
Rear Seating Port.jpg
Bar Gone.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rich3rdMorris
Vessel Info: 1994 Wellcraft 2600 Coastal

Postby Rich3rdMorris » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:22 pm

That's not to bad of a project. I'd look at other similar boats of that size and see what they offer and try to copy/duplicate it to fit y'all needs. Check out Club Sea Ray, they've got a lot more users/members who've done an array of custom uupgrades/remodels. I'd also try googling photos of a 87 grand sport and see what comes up. Hope this helps.
Rich3rdMorris
1995 Wellcraft 2600 Coastal
1981 Mustang T-Top Coupe
Pearl River, La.

Topic author
walawdog

Postby walawdog » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Thanks for the input. I've been walking around the marina looking at the other express cruisers and getting ideas but my skill set may not be sufficient to do anything that nicely. lol

I am in the process of joining Club Wellcraft. Hopefully I'll figure something out as I'd like to get her up and usable soon!!! Thanks again for the input.

RockL76
Vessel Info: 1988 Wellcraft gransport twin 7.4 Mercruiser raw water cooled

Postby RockL76 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:57 am

I have a 88 Gran sport when I bought it the only seat in it was the helm seat the port seat was removed and the aft cockpit seat was gone also no wet bar. I found a Port seat from a Gran sport that was being parted out in Massachusetts and i use 2 deck chairs in the aft. I am currently replacing the starboard engine with a rebuilt long block. post some pics as you go along nice to see what you come up with it.

tmarv
Vessel Info: 1989 Wellcraft GranSport

Postby tmarv » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:36 pm

RockL76 wrote:Source of the post I have a 88 Gran sport when I bought it the only seat in it was the helm seat the port seat was removed and the aft cockpit seat was gone also no wet bar. I found a Port seat from a Gran sport that was being parted out in Massachusetts and i use 2 deck chairs in the aft. I am currently replacing the starboard engine with a rebuilt long block. post some pics as you go along nice to see what you come up with it.

LOOKING FOR HELP WITH LIGHTS ON HELM, DOCKING LIGHTS ARE INOP BUT I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY POWER ON ?

TJS0404
Vessel Info: 1987 Gran Sport 3400
Baltimore MD

Postby TJS0404 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:51 pm

walawdog, How is this project going? I have an 87 Gran Sport and I need to rip the wet bar, aft seat and the port and starboard steps out this winter. Have you found any best practices doing this project that made life easier?

Gran Finale
Vessel Info: 1988 34' Gran Sport, 7.4 (454) Crusaders 600 hours.

Postby Gran Finale » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:05 am

I Know your post was from 2016, but in case you want to see what can be done with a Gran Sport have a look at Beaches Marine Brokerage (.com). Go to inventory and scroll down to the red '88 Gran Sport. That's the project boat I bought last month. Go to the top of the listing and click on the video. It is the renovation I would love, but could never afford!!

Return to “The Project Center”