Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Replace old analog tachometers with new digital tachs

If you have a project idea or a completed one you would like to show off (major or minor), share it with the rest of us!

Topic author
Classof89
Vessel Info: 1989 Wellcraft Gran Sport

Replace old analog tachometers with new digital tachs

Postby Classof89 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:35 pm

Has anyone swapped out their old analog tachs, specifically 1989 Gran Sport with 454 Merc inboards, to new digital ones? Is this as simple as just swapping the gauges in the dash or does it require new sensors on the engines or something more?

COCOLOCO
Vessel Info: 1994 SCARAB 34 SPORT WITH 3 225 MERCURY OUTBOARDS

Re: Replace old analog tachometers with new digital tachs

Postby COCOLOCO » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:29 pm

Haven't done that - I've got outboards - but I've been reading up on it. first thing you need to do is contact Mercury tech support and give them the s/n of your engine (VIN #). They will tell you if you already have sensors on your engines (or can get sensors/harnesses) that put out a digital signal (which you need for running digital gauges). If you don't, then you'll need to buy an analog to digital NMEA2000 converter. Your analog gages signal wires plug into that converter box, and the output from that converter box will then run your digital gages. So far I've found 3 converter systems: NoLand Engineering, Actisense, and AlbaCombi. That's as far as I've taken it. Each of the websites has tech data and instruction manuals. You'll need to be reasonably well versed in electronics if you want to do a DYI....I'm more of a mechanical guy, so when it's time, I'll find a friend, some cold brews, etc. :beer:

Return to “The Project Center”