Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

'99 210 Fisherman Fishbox issues

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
krocks
Vessel Info: '99 Fisherman 210
2004 Yamaha F200

'99 210 Fisherman Fishbox issues

Postby krocks » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:40 pm

I'm really hoping someone has come up with a decent solution to a problem I'm having keeping ice in my fishboxes.

This problem has potentially been agitated by the addition of the heaver Yamaha F200 (as the boat originally came with a FICHT 2 stroke), but the engine is around 140# heavier so I can't imagine the weight of what would equal to one very light person sitting in the back of the boat would cause the issue.

The issue is that when trolling, or idling, and people are fishing from the back of the boat, water comes right up and in from the scuppers and straight into the fishbox. The scuppers are underwater a good majority of the time. From what I can tell, it is at least somewhat designed to work this way. The water on the other hand is supposed to drain out from the fishbox into the bilge, and then is pumped overboard via the bilge bump. To add to the problem, the drain for the fishboxes isn't on the bottom but rather on the bottom edge of the back side. Water won't drain until there is a couple of inches worth. This equates to my 80lbs of ice melting INCREDIBLY fast if I don't keep a careful eye on whatever water has gotten into the fishbox.

So has anyone come up with a way to resolve this issue? I tried putting freeze plugs in the deck holes for the scuppers. It seemed like a dumb idea in the event that we took water over the bow, and hardly mitigated the problem anyhow.

WBO Admin
Site Admin

Re: '99 210 Fisherman Fishbox issues

Postby WBO Admin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:16 am

Is there a gasket of any kind for the top of the fish box? That may help keep the sea water out. Also, you can add a rubber flap on the out side of the scupper in an effort to prevent water from coming in while still letting water out.

Topic author
krocks
Vessel Info: '99 Fisherman 210
2004 Yamaha F200

Re: '99 210 Fisherman Fishbox issues

Postby krocks » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:25 am

WBO Admin wrote:Is there a gasket of any kind for the top of the fish box? That may help keep the sea water out. Also, you can add a rubber flap on the out side of the scupper in an effort to prevent water from coming in while still letting water out.

No gasket on the lid of the fishbox. That might help, but it seems like it really was designed to have the water flow into the box and then back out, just much more efficiently than it does.

The flapper scupper may help, but I'm thinking maybe a pump to assist with the drain might be better?

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”