Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

water / fuel separator

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
H&K girl
Vessel Info: 1988 Wellcraft 192 classic

water / fuel separator

Postby H&K girl » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:58 pm

Hi,
Last summer I bought a 1988 Wellcraft 192 Classic. Before I winterized it, I ran the fuel out. After that I have been unable to start it without using starting fluid and having a bear of a time. When I took it to have it shrink wrapped, they could not get it started. They suspect I may have a lot of debris in the carb due to emptying the tank (I put fresh fuel and dry gas in shortly after). They advised me to change the fuel filter / separator. I cannot find a fuel filter / water separator anywhere. The fuel hose comes out of the fuel tank and directly down to the fuel pump then up to the carburetor. Should I install a separator and is this unusual for this boat? They guy I bought it from overhauled the engine and did a really crappy job of it. Thanks for any advice or assistance you can offer.

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Re: water / fuel separator

Postby CptBill » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:24 am

YES is the best answer but any type of inline filter would help, also a back flow valve if there's not one already on it
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Postby Billm » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:35 pm

Yes, I like the Racor spin on type. Also change the fuel line between the tank and fuel pump if it has not been recently done.

Topic author
H&K girl
Vessel Info: 1988 Wellcraft 192 classic

Postby H&K girl » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:19 am

I bought a Moeller Clear Site water separation fuel filter (spin on type) to install. Yesterday I opened the boat to asses how I wanted to install the separator. I wanted to check the fuel hose and the fuel filter in the carburetor. After removing the fuel line at the carburetor I removed the fuel filter and found it clean, almost like new. I noticed there was no fuel in the line though. I took the bowl off the fuel pump and it has some kind of ceramic(?) filter. I cannot tell the condition of it because I don't know what it is supposed to look like and the Seloc Service manual I bought makes no mention, only shows a paper filter. I bought a new rubber fuel line to replace the line from the tank to the fuel pump (as Billm suggested) and I plan to install a back flow valve as suggested by CptBill (if I can figure out where to get one and how to install it). A friend suggested eliminating the mechanical fuel pump and installing an electric pump but I cannot see this as any advantage. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”