Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

engine compartment

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
fisherfinn
Vessel Info: 2001 2800 Martinique, twin engine

engine compartment

Postby fisherfinn » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:40 pm

VERY NEW BOAT OWNER I left something on during our last visit to the boat and the batteries are dead. Generator is not working and no shore power. How can I lift the engine compartment to get to the batteries and/or is there a way to charge the batteries without raising it?

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Re: engine compartment

Postby CptBill » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:38 am

Plug the boat in and turn on the battery charger and leave it sit for a day
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Topic author
fisherfinn

Postby fisherfinn » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:31 am

no shore power, only 110 outlet on dock

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Postby Billm » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:23 am

Are you talking about the standard 110v outlet like at home? Marinco or Hubblel makes an inexpensive adaptor for your shore power cord. 20 amp to 30 amp converter. No shore power cord? Then your best bet is one of those cheap cigarette lighter jump starters. They probably won’t start the engines but should throw enough juice into the battery to raise the hatch so you can pull One battery and get it to a charger. Then start the engines and go for a ride to recharge everything. By the way, always set your battery selector to one or the other, never both. That way if you forget, you will always have a fresh battery available. The refrigerator is the worst culprit for running down a battery.

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Postby CptBill » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:40 pm

If you intend to do any cruising you should have that adapter or make one. I can't tell how many times we have had to use the one we made, relatively cheap to make if you can buy a used shore power cord then go to the big bow and get a 30 amp household weather tight male end. Doesn't have to be very long just about 2-3 ft
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Topic author
fisherfinn

Postby fisherfinn » Thu May 20, 2021 11:03 am

Very much appreciate the comments, and apologize for the looong lack of response. Had to abandon the project for family reasons. Where can I get more detailed information on the boat systems. Owners manual is thin on info, and I need to learn much about my boat such as....what batteries work what, when do the battery switches need to be on or off and full explanation on the switches in the control box down below in the cabin, and probably 100 other things. Don't want to keep asking dumb questions and need more boat smarts. I have a 2001 Martinique 2800, twin engine. Also would like to find someone to do service in the Johnson City TN area. Boat is on Watauga Lake. Thanks again!

Billm

Postby Billm » Fri May 21, 2021 9:48 am

There is no such thing as a dumb question. When you leave the boat all battery switches should be shut off. Everything should be wired through them including ignition, electronics and fridge. The only exception is that the automatic bilge pumps, and a wire to the am fm stereo to hold presets memory, and possibly cockpit courtesy lights should still be energized. Test the bilge pumps by momentarily lifting and dropping the float switches.
When you leave the boat, you should plug into that 110 volt outlet so your fridge can run on AC current. Shut off all the AC breakers except fridge and battery charger. 15 or 20 amp circuits will be enough to run those but not much more.

Topic author
fisherfinn

Postby fisherfinn » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:52 am

Thanks Billm. So, while I am away, I should have the shore power adapter to 110 plugged into the available outlet with the battery switches turned off and that will keep a charge on the three batteries? How about the AC-DC slide switches in the panel in the lower cabin....on or off? Lastly, how does the engine compartment hatch get lifted when the batterys are dead? Is there some kind of release, and then use 2 strong people to pick it up?

Topic author
fisherfinn

Postby fisherfinn » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:57 am

Billm....sorry, just went back and re-read your post regarding jumping the battery with the remote power unit in the cigarette lighter in the dashboard. Tried that last visit and nothing happened. Do the battery switches need to be on or off when I do that? Does the DC switch in the panel below need to be on or off?

Billm

Postby Billm » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:17 am

Battery switches should be off when you are away. All AC switches should be off except charger which should provide intelligent charging to the batteries regardless of DC switches. I believe you said there was a 110 outlet nearby. That should be enough to charge even if it is only 15 amp. If you are running a fridge, keep that AC switch on, too. DC switches can stay on because the battery switch has killed them any way. That is how things should work; someone may have made changes we don’t know about.

If your built in charger is not working, I can’t think of any other way to get the battery charged other than through the cigarette lighter. It should send a trickle charge to at least one of the batteries. Try leaving it for a while with the battery switches on to energize the feed to the cigarette lighter.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”