Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

engine compartment

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
fisherfinn
Vessel Info: 2001 2800 Martinique, twin engine

Re: engine compartment

Postby fisherfinn » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:42 pm

Thanks very much for the information. I have another question. The marina put my boat in a few weeks ago. A couple of days later they saw that it was sitting low in the water and they pulled it out. The said that they pulled the plug to let the water out for a while. They decided to put the plug back in to see if any other places were leaking and there was water spraying out of a thru hull seacock strainer. Does this mean that it is defective and leaking water in the boat. I assume it was for the generator, but not sure. Should I have it replaced?

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Postby Billm » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:15 pm

Are you talking about a bronze basket strainer with two wing nuts on top like Groco? The wing nuts have to be tightened evenly or they will leak profusely. They have a thin gasket built built into the cover. It is best to do this when the boat is in the water so you can check for leaks. Try tightening the one farthest away from the hinge first. You have to play around with loosening and tightening the wing nuts until the cover is on evenly and the leak stops. A little waterproof grease on the gasket will help. It should not need to be replaced until the threads become stripped and the wing nuts will not tighten. You can replace the strainer when the boat is in the water simply by shutting the seacock. Now I have a serious question. Why wasn’t your bilge pump handling this? Are the batteries still dead? When my boat goes in, I always inspect the bilge within an hour or two. Board the boat by jumping on the swim platform. If the bilge pump comes on, that’s a bad sign.

Topic author
fisherfinn
Vessel Info: 2001 2800 Martinique, twin engine

Postby fisherfinn » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:16 pm

That's very helpful information. I appreciate.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”