Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1988 PORTOFINO 43 PROPELLER SIZE?

Engine, transmission, I/O, OB and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author
jlbcic1957
Vessel Info: 1988 wellcraft portofino 43

1988 PORTOFINO 43 PROPELLER SIZE?

Postby jlbcic1957 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:43 pm

Hello to all! I'm new to the site and not too "Forum Savey." (01/19/2021)
Is there a place on this site to target Portofino owners specifically or am I in the right place to ask the following question?

I am seeking information specific to the Portofino 43 powered with cat 3208 turbo diesel engines..
Specifically, what size prop was on this boat, when shipped from the factory?

I have the 1988 Wellcraft Portofino 43ft. It came from the factory with Caterpillar 3208 turbo diesels. The previous owner was having some performance issue and decided to replaced the original factory "3" blade props with the "4" blade 22"x23p props that are on it now. He told me the "performance issue got worse." He no longer has, and can't recall the size of the original 3 blade props.

The issue: I am presently getting 2200 rpm at WOT and 10 psi of boost. I'm told I should be getting 2800 rpm at WOT and near 20 psi of boost.
Prior to previous owner's information regarding the prop change, The engines (1,000 hrs) had extensive work and evaluation. IE: New Injectors, valve adjustment, timing adjustment, aftercooler cleaning, turbo cartridge inspection, fuel pressure evaluation, governor operation testing, fuel filter replacement, fuel tanks pumped out, etc, etc. All, to no avail.
The latest mechanic suggested checking the props and prop sizing... That's when I called the previous owner to find out he had changed them and this change bogged the engines. Argh!

Soooo, have I reached anyone that may help answer my questions or know of a place I should be looking?
Thanks in advance
Larry

manhattan
Vessel Info: wellcraft Portofino 4300. complete retrofit of all systems. twin gas 485 h.p. custom motors.

Re: 1988 PORTOFINO 43 PROPELLER SIZE?

Postby manhattan » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:48 am

Hello Larry
I am a Portofino owner who has repowered and repropped my 1998 Portofino
I don’t claim to be a prop expert but l can tell you how l chose new props
Vicprop.com has a service where you input all your vessels specs and info and they recommend a prop for you.
Offhand l can tell you have way too much pitch. To increase WOT rpm you must reduce pitch. Here is what l have on my boat but l must tell you that l have gas motors. I have a total of 930 h.p.and 977 ft./lbs torque. Divide by 2 for each side.
I went to vicprop.com put in all my data and they came up with a recommended prop for my Portofino.
I ended up buying Michigan 3 blade props. Dia. 23”. Pitch 20”.
Not sure how all the numbers would work out for Diesel. You will have your h.p. And torque produced at significantly lower r.p.m.
Knowing what you had with the 3 blade props would be a start but obviously the previous owner wasn’t happy wit the performance.
The Portofino is a big heavy boat but you should have enough h.p.and torque to cruise at 22 to 25 m.p.h or ~= to 20 knots.

Frank

ddjinks
Vessel Info: 1988 Portofino 43 gas

Postby ddjinks » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:26 pm

jlbcic1957, Hi Larry. I recently got a 1988 Portofino 4300. Hope you got your prop issue taken care of. I have gas engines, one of which is being replaced (hopefully finished this weekend). A couple of things...my front berth ac is not discharging cooling water. I see the intake and outflow lines at the ac unit, but they disappear behind a bulkhead/hull support. Would you happen to know where the seacock, filter, and pump are located/accessed? Also, and this one is dumb, there are two small lights at the head of the bed. I can't locate a on/off switch or button for these; right now thery're on, so I don't have any bulbs in them. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

ddjinks
Vessel Info: 1988 Portofino 43 gas

Postby ddjinks » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:29 pm

manhattan, Frank, Hi. See my post above to Larry. Don't know how close the 98 Portofino is to the 88, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Return to “Engines, Transmissions & Drives”