Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kill Switch Current Fault

Engine, transmission, I/O, OB and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author
pjaec001
Vessel Info: 1995 Excel 19 SX Bowrider Inboard/Outboard 3.0L Mercruiser Alpha One Outdrive
Seawater use in Virginia Beach, VA
3rd Owner with unknown hours (estimated at 450h)

Kill Switch Current Fault

Postby pjaec001 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:59 pm

I was out boating around in the bay for about 30min just cruising at 25mph and then all the sudden I am dead in the water as engine cuts out, all gauges functioning properly except the battery voltage (registering 0V) I initially think the kill switch got pulled so I inspect and pull it out then back in and try to crank the motor. It cranks, but no Ignition (no electrical signal to the spark plugs). I then try to bypass the kill switch and jump the wires with a jumper wire and crank again and almost instantly it fries my 22AWG jumper wire (the kill switch wire is like an 18awg) So I decide to try again by simple jumping the leads directly to each other and try again and after 15 seconds of cranking with no engine coughs or running I check the wires and they are HOT! So why is that kill switch circuit getting the excess current? Could my ignition switch be bad and sending the wrong current to the kill switch or could something else in the kill switch circuit be causing the issue?

After about an hour of checking plugs and fuses (didn't replace anything just take apart and put back together) I get the battery meter to start registering again and she starts and runs fine (With the bypassed Switch).

I am scratching my head on how or why this is happening anyone have an idea?

-Peter

Return to “Engines, Transmissions & Drives”