Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1985 Grand Sport 3400 losing power on starboard engine .

Engine, transmission, I/O, OB and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Jersey Joe
Vessel Info: 1988 Gran Sport 3400

Re: 1985 Grand Sport 3400 losing power on starboard engine .

Postby Jersey Joe » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:33 pm

I had the same problem last July with the starboard engine on my 88' Gran Sport. It ran fine up to 2,000-2,500 rpm, then would die above 2,500. when I throttled down again it ran fine. It turns out it was a leaking diaphram in the stbd mechanical fuel pump. You can check it by looking at the clear overflow hose that runs from the fuel pump upto the carburetor. It should be empty. Mine wasn't, it was full of gasoline from the leaking bad diaphram. See photo. That could explain the fuel smell too. In addition, it's a good habit the change the engine oil at the same time because it could be contaminated with gasoline that leaked into the bottom of the block/pan. Runs perfect the last two seasons.
fuel pump.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Grand Sport Guy
Vessel Info: 1985 Grand Sport 3400

Postby Grand Sport Guy » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:11 am

I have a feeling the float may have been sticking. I ran a can of seafoam through it and after running it for a day I came back to the boat the next weekend and boat ran great. I've been running it for over a month now with no issue. A couple other issues popped up. Thermostat stuck, raw water impeller/pump. But I can't complain, the boat sat for 2 years in dry dock.

goodday
Vessel Info: 1999 2600 Mart. 5.7 bravo3

Postby goodday » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:43 pm

Sounds like you got the gremlins figured out, so many issues arise when things set for awhile and just purchase , enjoy

Return to “Engines, Transmissions & Drives”