Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

160 CCF 1997 fuel tank

Engine, transmission, I/O, OB and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author
DavidEtnier
Vessel Info: 1997 160CCF HIN# WELFXF57L697

160 CCF 1997 fuel tank

Postby DavidEtnier » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:18 pm

Hello all - I am new to Wellcrafts and plunged in head first just a couple weeks ago. Of course mine is somewhat torn apart now.

The biggest issue being the plastic fuel tank below the console that was literally filled with water. I have pumped it out and tipped the console forward and cut out a panel to access. But now see that it still isn't removable without taking out a wide aluminum plate at a minimum.

Any thoughts on the full tank removal process would be welcome.

I'm going to replace the hoses and then conduct a vacuum test to see if the tank leaks anywhere. But I am hoping not - only quite intrigued how the whole tank could fill to the brim with water - short of the boat being under itself I suppose. Anything is possible of course...

At least it was always in fresh water so everything looks pretty clean otherwise.
She's headed for salt water under our ownership though so I will need to mark a waterline and take all the needed steps (sand, barrier coats, etc...) to facilitate that move.
Does anyone have a recommendation for the height of the waterline above the chine?

Any and all input would be most welcome.

Thank you,
David

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Re: 160 CCF 1997 fuel tank

Postby CptBill » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:50 pm

I think your approaching it the right way, If the tank is still solid with no leak why not reuse it. in order to get the tank out You need to cut the deck open so if you can avoid that it would be a plus. Cleaning the tank may be a P.I.A. and I agree with your thought about it being under water so I suppose there's a lot more things to look at if that's the case. As far as the water line goes it's hard to say because all boats tend to get heaver over the years so dropping it in might be the best way
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Topic author
DavidEtnier
Vessel Info: 1997 160CCF HIN# WELFXF57L697

Re: 160 CCF 1997 fuel tank

Postby DavidEtnier » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:38 pm

Thank you for getting back to me Bill. I've gotten all the water out and the tank appears ok. I suspect the previous owner just stuck a tank on the deck to avoid dealing with the water. Vacuum tested and am drying out the tank now. All appears good. New sending unit and gauge coming and will lay in plenty of fuel/water separator filters. Thanks again for the input.

Return to “Engines, Transmissions & Drives”