Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Move Zinc Anodes on motor mount?

Engine, transmission, I/O, OB and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author
Washboard
Vessel Info: 1998 23 wellcraft WA. added 1998 225 optimax on an aluminum jackplate setback. Soft top. Still in process of connecting motor change out and connect hydraulic steering. Bought all new gauges. Plenty of work to do! West central Florida

Move Zinc Anodes on motor mount?

Postby Washboard » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Hello Fellow Wellcraft owners! I have a 1998 Optimax 225. Do not believe that any owner of it along the line ever changed out the sacrificial anode at the bottom of the Trim cylinders on the motor mount. It is in bad shape! I've heard of ways to try and remove it and get the bolts out so a new anode can be placed in the same place.

I am willing to try the reasonable sounding processes. If it does not work, and I break the bolts of even with the mount, is the only option to remove the motor, have the holes drilled out and helicoils used so the anode can be replaced in the exact same location? Just wondering if anyone ever heard of the effectiveness of adding an anode to each side of the mount or something. Are the bolts just going into threaded aluminum, or is there some sort of insert of another type metal?

Just putting this boat and motor together and already spending a too much money. Would like a way to get out of this fix without going broke or adding a month or two to completion of the project. Any help appreciated! Really enjoy reading on this site and how people help out when they have the knowledge.

I can take a picture and upload it tomorrow if anyone is interested.

SirMr
Vessel Info: NonChalant
2000 Wellcraft 290 Coastal w/ Twin 225 Ficht Outboards.
Home Port: Detroit Fishing: L Erie, L Huron, L St. Clair, Detroit & St. Clair Rivers.

Re: Move Zinc Anodes on motor mount?

Postby SirMr » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:18 pm

I have 225 Evinrude Fichts with the same problem. I was able to remove the tube the bolts screw into but still cannot
remove the screws they are seemingly welded in. Anyone with experience doing this would appreciate some advice.

Topic author
Washboard
Vessel Info: 1998 23 wellcraft WA. added 1998 225 optimax on an aluminum jackplate setback. Soft top. Still in process of connecting motor change out and connect hydraulic steering. Bought all new gauges. Plenty of work to do! West central Florida

Re: Move Zinc Anodes on motor mount?

Postby Washboard » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:02 am

I was fortunate to have enough room to drill and tap new mounting holes in the motor mount. They are very close to the old bolts, but not in the way of anything.
Then added two new holes in the anode and seems to work great!

Return to “Engines, Transmissions & Drives”