Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Volvo Penta jet drive hard to get into gear

Engine, transmission, I/O, OB and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author
joecal
Vessel Info: 1997 19' Scarab Sprint with a 350ci

Volvo Penta jet drive hard to get into gear

Postby joecal » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:27 am

Hello,
I'm a new guy on here and I just bought an 1997 19' Scarab Sprint with a 350ci engine that replaced the original 4.3ltr.. It has a Volvo Penta jet drive, and it's really hard to get into gear being forward or reverse. There are only about 83 total hours on the boat according to the hour gauge if that's correct. The seller said it would be easier to shift once in the water, which I don't believe is true, and I haven't had the boat out yet. I disconnected the cable at the diverter if that's what it's called and it's still the same. I'm just trying to correct this so any help is appreciated, this is my fourth boat but I never had a jet drive. I don't feel comfortable using the boat as is. One more question for now where do you attach fenders to the front side of the boat? There's cleats in the back and one on the bow but nothing on the sides. There are no rails on the boat to connect them to.
Thanks!
Joe

goodday
Vessel Info: 1999 2600 Mart. 5.7 bravo3

Re: Volvo Penta jet drive hard to get into gear

Postby goodday » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:52 pm

Maybe shift cable needs lubed if your unhooked from???, if that's before outdr., yes it would prob shift better running in water

Topic author
joecal

Postby joecal » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:56 pm

Thanks goodday, that's what I was thinking that maybe it just needs lubrication. How do you go about that as far as getting the lubricant inside the cable housing? I was thinking of disconnecting the cable from the jet drive and try to get some lubricant in there if that's possible. That's good to hear it will probably shift easier in the water, because I'm not comfortable with the way it is now shifting out of the water.
Thanks again!

goodday
Vessel Info: 1999 2600 Mart. 5.7 bravo3

Postby goodday » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:47 pm

Some have a zerk, unhook maybe try to get some lube to work in,, might have to just replace

sloch24
Vessel Info: 2003 Wellcraft Coastal 270 I/O

Postby sloch24 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 am

It's a 1997. Replace the cable. Lube is only a short term fix. If it's tight without the linkage connected the cable is worn and needs to be replaced.
Just my opinion, but i wouldn't screw around with trying to lube a 20 year old cable. They're not that hard to replace and not overly expensive.

There should be a name brand and the length on the cable. Use the old one to pull the new one into place.

Topic author
joecal

Postby joecal » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:57 pm

Thanks for the replies, I'm sorry for the late reply, I've haven't been on here in a while.

Topic author
joecal

Postby joecal » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:53 am

I know this post is about a year old, time flies. Anyway, I did replace the gearshift cable and it shifts nice and smooth now. I did find the part # on the original Teleflex cable and Teleflex was able to give me the new part#. It really wasn't that hard of a job either, I just attached a string ( tied it and taped it) to the old cable before pulling it out the stern, then I attached the string to the new one and pulled it through. The cable wasn't that expensive either, thanks again for the advice and help.
Joe

Return to “Engines, Transmissions & Drives”