Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1988 Gran Sport-Suggestions on replacing Impuse XP Depth Finder.

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, fish finders, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author
Jersey Joe
Vessel Info: 1988 Gran Sport 3400

1988 Gran Sport-Suggestions on replacing Impuse XP Depth Finder.

Postby Jersey Joe » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:35 pm

I'm looking at replacing the original Impulse XP Depth finder on my 88' Gran Sport. Can anyone tell me where I can access the internal side of the transducer? Can anyone suggest an inexpensive replacement (depth reading only) that can be done with the boat in the water?
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Re: 1988 Gran Sport-Suggestions on replacing Impuse XP Depth Finder.

Postby Billm » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:32 pm

The Impulse XP uses a 160khz transducer. Maybe there is a fish finder that will work with that, assuming the transducer is still good. Otherwise use an in hull transducer which should work with your solid hull.

LMK
Vessel Info: 2003 270 Coastal
Twin 225 Yamaha

Postby LMK » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:09 pm

There are some pretty good & inexpensive options out there today.
Hummingbird HDR 650 is a small round gauge depth finder. About $90 with out tranducer.
A Lowrance Hook 4 with a transducer can be bought at the GPS store for about $100. Transducer will mount on the stern.
I doubt your present transducer will work unless you can find an OEM head to go with it. One problem will be the plug end of the cable.
Good Luck!!

Topic author
Jersey Joe

Postby Jersey Joe » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:53 pm

I'm not near my boat now. Can anyone tell me if the two pucks/transducers down in the fwd engine bilge are "in-hull" or "thru-hull"?

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Postby Billm » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:08 pm

If they are the original Impulse XP transducers, then yes, they are thru hulls. One is the speed pickup though and can be unscrewed for cleaning the paddle wheel. They came with a plug to insert in its place while cleaning. I still have mine; it’s a little scary doing it.
Both of my XP’s still work, but I added a small fish finder because I like how the depth scrolls across the screen. They are not very expensive. Because the Impulse screens look so much alike, I sometimes get mixed up reading them.
If you cannot find a new or used fish finder that will work with the existing transducer, then your only option is an in hull transducer. I have heard they are not great but will at least get you through to the next haul out when you can put in a proper thru hull transducer.

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Postby CptBill » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:15 am

Please stay away from the Hook series from Lowrance, the faults with that series are many. There sounders freeze, gps is slow to react and you can't expand them or add a gps ant. Lowrance at this time has no plans for any soft ware updates to fix any of this
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Topic author
Jersey Joe

Postby Jersey Joe » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:53 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm going to add a Faria Chesapeake "In-hull" between the two existing units in the same bilge compartment.

daveswellcraft
Vessel Info: 1988 Gran Sport 33
Lake Erie

Postby daveswellcraft » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:45 am

Just my 2 cents, I removed both transducers, closed off one of the holes with a custom made stainless steel plate. Opened up the other hole for a new transducer. Installed a Gamin system. Moved my hours meters up to the old cut outs. Now I am planning on new switch panel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”