Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Power Leak

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, fish finders, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author
LastCall1984
Vessel Info: 1984 Wellcraft Express Cruiser 3100

Power Leak

Postby LastCall1984 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:43 pm

My marina notified my that they are picking up a small power leak on their amp meter, coming from my vessel. It is connected to shore power when I am not there, mainly just to power the fridge.

However, I do also have a battery charger (converter) in the bilge that I left on as it is supposed to auto-shut off once the batteries are at full charge.

Any ideas if this converter could cause the leakage? If not, any other ideas of what could? They want me to address is ASAP, and I'm hoping to do so without needing to hire a marine electrician.

A1251
Vessel Info: 1993 Coastal 2600 F300

Re: Power Leak

Postby A1251 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:34 am

Very very possible thats the leak. Check with the meter attached. This can cause major damage to your and surrounding boats.

Topic author
LastCall1984
Vessel Info: 1984 Wellcraft Express Cruiser 3100

Postby LastCall1984 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:54 am

Update: When using the clamp meter on my shore power cord, the marina staff got a reading of .8 amps...this reading remained the same even after I shut off my converter. It also remained after I flipped the 120v main breaker on my panel to OFF.

The meter only went to 0 once I unplugged it from my vessel's shore power connection outlet.

Does this mean the fault lies somewhere between my vessel's shore power receptacle and breaker panel?

A1251
Vessel Info: 1993 Coastal 2600 F300

Postby A1251 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:47 pm

Could be any item that has a ground. I would believe it or not do the same test you did with the dc stuff. Anything with a ground could be a problem. I had a converter once with an internal problem. Only found it once the ground was disconnected, off wasnt enough. The converter is always suspect as its ac in and dc out.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”