Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Dead Fuel Gauge

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, fish finders, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author
LastCall1984
Vessel Info: 1984 Wellcraft Express Cruiser 3100

Dead Fuel Gauge

Postby LastCall1984 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:01 pm

Hi All, my '84 Express Cruiser 3100 has a dead starboard fuel gauge. I'm considering trying to replace it this spring but have zero idea how or where to begin. Anyone know of any resources online or elsewhere that would help me get started?

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Re: Dead Fuel Gauge

Postby Billm » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:55 pm

You must first determine if the problem is in the fuel gauge or the sending unit. So open up the instrument panel. Take the wire going into the bad fuel gauge and move it to the good one. You may need to make up a short jumper wire to reach other one. If the problem migrates to the other gauge, then you know the sender is bad. To verify, reverse the test to see that the bad gauge now works,

As I have said many times on the forum, most electrical problems can be solved by simply cleaning corrosion off wire connection points. So try that first.

Topic author
LastCall1984
Vessel Info: 1984 Wellcraft Express Cruiser 3100

Postby LastCall1984 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:03 pm

Billm wrote:Source of the post You must first determine if the problem is in the fuel gauge or the sending unit. So open up the instrument panel. Take the wire going into the bad fuel gauge and move it to the good one. You may need to make up a short jumper wire to reach other one. If the problem migrates to the other gauge, then you know the sender is bad. To verify, reverse the test to see that the bad gauge now works,

As I have said many times on the forum, most electrical problems can be solved by simply cleaning corrosion off wire connection points. So try that first.

Thanks Bill! It will be a good 6+ weeks before I can get to her, but I am adding this to my list for spring. Appreciate the advice!

daveswellcraft
Vessel Info: 1988 Gran Sport 33
Lake Erie

Postby daveswellcraft » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:08 pm

For this era boat, all the gauges work the same. One wire from the gauge goes to the sensor. If you ground this wire out at the gauge, with the key on, the needle will go to full deflection. With fuel, you will show a full tank, with oil pressure it will show maximum, same thing with temperature. I would find the easiest place to do this at the gauge or sensor. I had a faulty gas tank float. The float actually sunk and the gauge showed empty all the time.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”