Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

garmin fish finder replacement

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, fish finders, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author
ynsemr
Vessel Info: 1989 wellcraft st tropez

garmin fish finder replacement

Postby ynsemr » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:31 pm

I own a 1989 Wellcraft St Tropez equipped with a Garmin 160c fish finder, which I'd like to replace with a newer model. However, I'm uncertain whether the boat already has a transducer installed. As a novice boater, I'm unfamiliar with the 160c's functionality, and I'm wondering if a new transducer will be necessary. If so, do you have any recommendations for installing it? I've viewed several tutorials, but most involve drilling into the boat's backside to secure the transducer. Is this approach advisable? Additionally, could you please offer guidance on how to connect the power cables to the battery? Thank you kindly in advance for your assistance.

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Re: garmin fish finder replacement

Postby Billm » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:54 am

Is the boat out of the water? It will certainly have an existing transducer. Most likely a thru hull in the engine compartment just forward of the battery boxes. Do you mean power cables for the fish finder or the main red and black cables to the battery? Please be more specific; we are here to help.

Topic author
ynsemr

Postby ynsemr » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:58 pm

Yes the boat is out of the water. I wasnt able to find the existing transducer. I mean the cable from transducer to the fish finder.

Billm

Postby Billm » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:56 pm

It may be under the third battery. Best way to find it is to crawl under the boat, assuming it is thru hull and not transom mounted. However, a new fish finder will more than likely need a different transducer. Sounds like you have watched tutorials on mounting on the transom (backside). That is for small boats. You want a proper thru hull transducer. Do not be afraid of cutting a hole to mount it. The bottom is solid fiberglass. Properly bedded and tightened down it will never leak. Mount it close to the centerline well forward of the engine water pickups so there is no turbulence. Never cut a transducer cable.

Topic author
ynsemr

Postby ynsemr » Thu May 11, 2023 11:27 pm

I bought a garmin echomap 74cv , just talked with marine techicans , they suggest to mount it just next to the drain plug , I am wondering if propellers will make any bubbles and can we get clear vision from it ? Since we have 2 inboard engine, most of the people are suggesting thru hull transducer, it is expensive and requires more work than a transom transducer. Any idea if we should mount the transducer next to the drain plug?

Billm

Postby Billm » Fri May 12, 2023 10:56 am

Do the thru hull

Topic author
ynsemr

Postby ynsemr » Fri May 12, 2023 3:21 pm

I already purchased the transducer , do you suggest me return and buy a thru hull transducer ? I just wanna know if you are saying that transom transducer is not gonna work with my boat?

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”