Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

fuel tank

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
160ccf
Vessel Info: 1997 wellcraft 160 ccf

fuel tank

Postby 160ccf » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi. I recently purchased a 1997 wellcraft 160 ccf. The previous owner abandoned the factory installed fuel tank which is located under the deck below the center console. It was replaced with a 5 gallon gas tank that is sitting on the deck at the stern. I would like to replace the original, get rid of the 5 gallon tank and get the boat back to the original set up. Has anyone performed this task? if so, I am seeking some guidance. Thank you. 160ccf.

Rugerp904579
Vessel Info: 85 Airslot 185

Re: fuel tank

Postby Rugerp904579 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:28 am

Your first step would be to determine the viability of the existing tank. Pressure test to see if it has any leaks. If it is an aluminum tank you may be dealing with corrosion issues in the tank wall or on the pickup tube. Worst case, you'll have to get access to it and replace it. If you have more information about the tank, we can give you more info on how to go about the task you're considering :-)

pnelson60446
Vessel Info: 1996 excell 23. Walk around cuddy

Postby pnelson60446 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:30 pm

I have a 1996 well craft 3 excel walk around. I've had fuel in the bilge twice now when I've filled up. At first I thought it was the guy who filled it being careless. Anyway, now I'm not so sure. I've traced the gas lines and don't see any obvious cracks or damp areas. I repacked the vent a couple weeks ago. Today, I spent all day emptying and cleaning the bilge. I replaced the pump and float switch as the gas in there made them soft. I filled the bilge with fresh water for a good rinse and allowed the new pump to run it all out. Now, I'm waiting to see what happens and will keep a close eye on it. if this happens again how do I pressure test the tank? I'm praying the tank is okay as I think I'd have to cut out the floor to replace it. I love my Excel. Thanks in advance for the help

Ron_T
Vessel Info: 1989 Wellcraft Coastal 330

Postby Ron_T » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:48 pm

Oct 2020 I bought a 1989 Wellcraft Coastal 330. The surveyor brought up the issue of fuel tank corrosion. It appears the tanks are not accessible for inspection. Due to the age, I am considering tank replacement. Does anyone know if the galley/cabin needs to be disassembled or can the tanks be removed through the engine compartment? The marina, not me, will do the work.

Also is there a owners manual available for this model?

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Postby CptBill » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:58 pm

There should be a bulkhead between the aft cabin and the fuel tank, Now I might be wrong about this but I think that the deck above the fuel tank needs to be opened up to gain access the tank and I also think the tank is foamed into place
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Ron_T
Vessel Info: 1989 Wellcraft Coastal 330

Postby Ron_T » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:09 pm

Thanks, I figure it will be quite an effort.

Panorama
Vessel Info: 2004 24' Wellcraft Walkaround

Postby Panorama » Wed May 25, 2022 3:10 pm

UNBELIEVABLE! Wellcraft built this 24' walkaround without a hatch or system to remove/replace the gas tank! Just ridiculous!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”