Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Stringers and fuel tanks

If you have a project idea or a completed one you would like to show off (major or minor), share it with the rest of us!

Topic author
Rugerp904579
Vessel Info: 85 Airslot 185

Stringers and fuel tanks

Postby Rugerp904579 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:33 pm

Picked up an 85 airslot 185, pretty decent shape for its age. My questions are 1) what are the saddle tanks made of and are they a concern? Where are the access points for the tanks? 2) the forward mount stringer is collapsing, has anyone done the 1/2" aluminum stock upgrade? Thanks in advance, love this boat. Lots of character and very unique
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Rugerp904579

Re: Stringers and fuel tanks

Postby Rugerp904579 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:04 am

I'll take that as a "no". I'll post pics as soon as I get started, maybe someone else up here could get some useful info on how to go about the repair.

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Postby CptBill » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:39 pm

Nice boat, good luck. It's hard to get any response's in this forum not a lot of people share there knowledge here, try iboats forum lots of chatter there usually get some good advice there
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Topic author
Rugerp904579

Postby Rugerp904579 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:18 pm

Thanks, I may do that. Not much I can't do, but this will be a one off modification so it should be interesting. Will definitely beat the tar out of the factory stringer that consist of wafer thin glass on plywood lol I'll get this done and there will be a long list of other things. After all, it is a boat!

Whitey
Vessel Info: Wellcraft 18sport. 1991 i think lol

Postby Whitey » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:52 pm

You might also hull truth forum

Topic author
Rugerp904579

Postby Rugerp904579 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:38 pm

If anyone wants to know, I didn’t end up having to do the stringer mod. I did, however, have to replace the shift cable to the outdrive, did a bellows kit, replaced the prop because it spun the hub, rebuilt the carb, tube up, new starter and replaced the drive belt. Runs great now, took the kids out in the chop and had a blast jumping wakes since it rides so well. I’ll take more pics once she gets a few coats of wax.

skiffman09@yahoo.com
Vessel Info: Waiting for paperwork to arrive , I believe it is a 1977 165Airslot

Postby skiffman09@yahoo.com » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:03 pm

Rugerp904579 wrote:Source of the post Picked up an 85 airslot 185, pretty decent shape for its age. My questions are 1) what are the saddle tanks made of and are they a concern? Where are the access points for the tanks? 2) the forward mount stringer is collapsing, has anyone done the 1/2" aluminum stock upgrade? Thanks in advance, love this boat. Lots of character and very unique

The deck in fwd hatch was all torn up, it gave view of a broken up from rot stringer. I removed old after cutting top off and replaced with plate aluminum I had. encapsulated it in west sys. epoxy and reglassed top of stringer using west I feel now it's done correctly

Return to “The Project Center”