Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Replacing gauges

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author
Hit&Run
Vessel Info: 01’ 2800 Martinique

Replacing gauges

Postby Hit&Run » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Hello, I have a 2001 28’ Martinique that I just replaced all the gauges on. After finishing I turned the key one click and no beeping sound and gauges didn’t move. After going over all the wiring (and seeming correct) I cranked the motor which now cranks but doesn’t start. I’m wondering if anyone else had this prob after changing gauges. Original gauges were all analog except the Hr meter on the RPM was digital. The new RPM gauge doesn’t have an hr meter and I’m wondering if that’s inter fearing with the Sea-Fire?? Faria gauges replaced with new Faria. Ty

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Re: Replacing gauges

Postby CptBill » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Wow That's a good one, I've replaced some gauges in my life but never had a problem like that. Welcome aboard by the way. I'd start by checking breakers and fused links in the engine control system good luck
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Re: Replacing gauges

Postby Billm » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:47 pm

I think power to ignition is fused before the ignition switch. Since the engine cranks then power is getting to the switch. The run position sends power both to the engine and the instrument panel. I think the fiddling around behind the instrument panel has loosened or pulled off wires at the ignition switch. The connections may look ok but there may be corrosion. So wiggle behind the ignition switch and see if the gauges come to life. You may need a 12 volt tester to tell how far power is getting. Make up a jumper cable with alligator clips on either end. To make it easier to probe, connect the black probe on the tester to the jumper cable and the other end to a known ground, leaving hands free to probe.
There may also be a wiring harness plug behind the instrument panel that you inadvertently loosened.
Finally, you may have touched a live wire to ground blowing a fuse or breaker somewhere. I think the problem is behind the instrument panel as that is the only place you have disturbed. The 12 volt tester will solve this for you.

Return to “Electrical”