Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Generator not firing

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author
samandje
Vessel Info: 1988 Eagle Excalibur 42'
1900 Corsica 3700

Generator not firing

Postby samandje » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:25 pm

I have a Westerbeke 6.5 generator that will not start. It will turn over but not firing. I have done all the test that I have found on line for the coil and the spark assist. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Re: Generator not firing

Postby CptBill » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:19 am

Gens are real P. I. A. to diagnose there are so many fail safe switches and wire connections and the problem could be with the power plant or the gen area. It took me 6 months to figure out that I needed to take my Kohler 5e unit to have checked out because it would turn over and start until you took your finger off the start switch. I went through the diagnostics over and over but it turned out that the stator had an open in it. Just saying at times it's better to let someone that is in that business do it
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

Wess
Vessel Info: 2002 Martinique 3300

Re: Generator not firing

Postby Wess » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:08 pm

Not firing as in no spark or it just isn't starting? Is it liquid cooled, make sure it's topped off. Also check oil level, some will not start because of low oil. Just some things you might have overlooked.

Return to “Electrical”