Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Installing rod holders on 290 Coastal

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
finchaser
Vessel Info: Wellcraft Coastal 290, year 2000, with twin 250 Evinrude E-tec motors (2009)

Installing rod holders on 290 Coastal

Postby finchaser » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:35 pm

I have a 2001 Wellcraft Coastal 290. I want to install additional gunwale mounted rod holders on port and starboard. The Coastal 290 makes it tough because you have an aluminum rail and fiberglass rail in the area for mounting so you would need to use a narrow rod holder. I have seen some 290 images online were people have added rod holders to this area. Just wondering if anyone knew what model and brand of rod holder was use.

I am also in the process of adding mounting plates for my Scotty downrigger and Ace Hauler in the same general area. I can thru bolt the two inner bolts on the aluminum edge, but wondering what guys have done over the fiberglass, because there is no access to thru bolt under the fiberglass and I am worried just screwing into the fiberglass will not hold under pressure.

flashman88
Vessel Info: 2003 Coastal 290

Re: Installing rod holders on 290 Coastal

Postby flashman88 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:56 pm

I just purchased a similar boat and had the same question. Is it possible to mount rod holders in the aluminum rail?

CptBill
Vessel Info: Jester Toy
2002 270 Coastal, Twin Yamaha 4 stroke 250
330Larson Cabrio twin 5.7l EFI V.P duo props
2760 Regal commodore
40' pacemaker flush deck
2855 Bayliner, 25' Marathon aft cabin

Postby CptBill » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:35 pm

My 270 has one on each side in the aluminum plate/rail
Never Ever Ever do anything that test your wife's memory :captain:

JStokes
Vessel Info: 2003 270 Coastal

Postby JStokes » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:19 pm

I installed these on my 270 Coastal. While not a thing of beauty, I love the way the can be adjusted. The nut/bolt holes line up with the slots in the aluminum plate/rail.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0863 ... UTF8&psc=1

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”