Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

91 wellcraft with 5.7 mercruiser

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author
Vorcutt
Vessel Info: 91 wellcraft.
5.7 mercruiser

91 wellcraft with 5.7 mercruiser

Postby Vorcutt » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:46 am

So I have come to the conclusion that I am not a mechanic by any means. This boat seems to piss me off more then anything..... That being said, when I put the boat in gear it dies. Reverse or forward throttle. If I go forward and backwards three times the boat will fire back up. So I’m torn between it being the interupter switch? Throttle cable? Shifter cable? Non have been replaced.

Also I think I broke the insides of my throttle. I can push and pull it into gear with out having to push in the shift interlock button....

Anyone have manuals or videos on these specific areas? Any information will help drastically!!

Thanks!

goodday
Vessel Info: 1999 2600 Mart. 5.7 bravo3

Re: 91 wellcraft with 5.7 mercruiser

Postby goodday » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:37 pm

Yap that shift cable has to be precise, common stretch or miss alignment will cause it to die, it might of been like 1 turn of the nuts to get adjustment, but with broken control hard to say where it’s at, on my bravo I have a plastic gage that lines it up pretty good, on my old boat with a alpha it was just a little adj to get it, but it would stall out all the time

Topic author
Vorcutt
Vessel Info: 91 wellcraft.
5.7 mercruiser

Postby Vorcutt » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:00 pm

Thank you for taking a moment and replying! I will check into that!

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Postby Billm » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:09 pm

Make sure all the connections in the ignition circuit are tight, especially at the ignition switch and the wiring harness plugs. There may be one in the engine compartment. Sometimes moving the shifter cable is enough to wiggle something and cause a momentary loss of contact.

MATT.J
Vessel Info: 1992 Eclipse 233 cuddy cab

Postby MATT.J » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:37 pm

Get the SELOC repair manual. It has everything a DIYer needs. Very detailed trouble shooting about the shift cables.
1992 eclipse 232 5.7L

Return to “General Boating Discussion”