Page 1 of 1

fuel tank vent

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:38 pm
by tx210coastal
I have a 1998 210 Coastal. I have been having issues with phase separation of the ethanol fuel. I'm attempting to locate the vent for the fuel tank. On the port bow, there is a thru hull vent that I assumed was for the fuel tank. But, when I trace the vent hose from the tank it runs up under the fuel cap. Is this the only vent for the tank? What would the thru hull vent fitting be for? I bought an inline dryer cartridge to install on the vent hose to try and eliminate atmospheric moisture from being drawn into the tank. But, if the only vent is under the gas cap, would it not be sealed from the environment?

Re: fuel tank vent

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:24 pm
by CptBill
Most of them vent either right at the top of fuel fill(if you take the cap off there will be a hole for the vent hose) Right near the fuel fill cap and some under the gunnel by the fuel fill cap. Try tracing the vent line from the tank if you can get to it

Re: fuel tank vent

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:45 am
by The LA Professor
I have a 1997 23' Excel. I think they are a very similar design.

Look in the area where the oil tank is. There is a hose running up to a through-hull on the side. That hose is the vent.

Mine was clogged with debris. Disconnected from both ends (tank and fitting), and used a shop-vac to get everything out.