Page 1 of 1

Removing rotted flooring American 180

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:33 pm
by KeithK
All the carpet is out. The forward 1/3 of floor is solid, back 2/3 needs replacing. What is the best way to cut the fiberglass especially when cutting near the sides? Since it will be glassed over when new floor is in do I even need to worry, or just rip the rotted wood out. This is my first floor replacement.

Thanks for any assistance.

Re: Removing rotted flooring American 180

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:27 pm
by goodday
Can u set your circular shallow 1/4 in. And just run along inside edge of boat, floor should be 3/4, get it tore out ,should be able to see what your doing along edge, you might find you got rot in stringers or other supports

Re: Removing rotted flooring American 180

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:27 pm
by KeithK
Thanks goodday -

I was able to get the 90% of what I needed out I still have a small area to go. Like I said, my first floor replacement. All the support boards look okay, nothing at all like the floor looked. Since the boat is an '84 and everything is exposed I'm thinking of replacing the gasoline fill hose, vent tube and fuel feed line. Also, I think I'm going to leave it opened up in the garage to let it dry for a few weeks.