Welcome to Wellcraft Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Wellcraft Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Wellcraft Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Wellcraft or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on WellcraftBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bottom Machine not running at speed

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, fish finders, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author
camarox00
Vessel Info: Wellcraft 252 Fisher man

Bottom Machine not running at speed

Postby camarox00 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Hey there guys,

This is my first post here...but I have been a behind the scenes reader for about a year now.

I'm stumped and thought y'all might have some experience with this as alot of us run a similar hull. I have a Wellcraft 252 fisherman and put in a B175M thru-hull ducer in it. She reads very well at slow speeds...anything under 14mph or probably less. But as soon as I speed her up passed that or jump on plane she completely stops reading. All I get is lines and color all over the place.

I'm looking for a solution to fix this issue. Any help or advice would mean alot as getting her up and running for the past year has been a work in progress but she is good to go now except for this problem.

Thank you!

Topic author
camarox00

Re: Bottom Machine not running at speed

Postby camarox00 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:52 pm

One other thing it that it is reading depth fine but the imaging to see bottom is shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Billm
Vessel Info: 87 st.tropez

Postby Billm » Mon May 21, 2018 7:30 pm

Sounds like something just ahead of the pickup is causing turbulence and bubbles as you speed up. Is it nice and flush and smooth with the hull around it?

boardman74
Vessel Info: 1990 Portofino 4300

Postby boardman74 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:59 pm

If your still getting depth readings my guess is that the transducer can not keep up with the mapping portion as you move quicker. I'd check with the manufacturer of the unit and talk to them about the capabilities of the particular unit/ transducer combination.

If it was an install issue you wouldn't be getting depth.

Topic author
camarox00

Postby camarox00 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:32 pm

Billm wrote:Source of the post Sounds like something just ahead of the pickup is causing turbulence and bubbles as you speed up. Is it nice and flush and smooth with the hull around it?

From what I remember there is nothing in front of the ducer. It is on a lift so I'll get in the water and take some pictures to share.

Topic author
camarox00

Postby camarox00 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:33 pm

boardman74 wrote:Source of the post If your still getting depth readings my guess is that the transducer can not keep up with the mapping portion as you move quicker. I'd check with the manufacturer of the unit and talk to them about the capabilities of the particular unit/ transducer combination.

If it was an install issue you wouldn't be getting depth.

That is a good idea. I will reach out to the manufacturer of the transducer and tell them my combo I am using. hopefully they can help. thank you!

Topic author
camarox00

Postby camarox00 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:41 pm

Well it took me quite a while to get good weather and time to go out and look at the boat. I did some more research along with a good friend and we noticed some people having the same issue. Looks like the Simrad just needed an update. After I updated it looked to read much better at speed. Now I only tested in in my canal and the river which is very shallow and it was s slick day. But before it wouldn't read even there at past 15 mph and was reading great at 40mph. Going to take her offshore for a little more testing and fish catching hopefully.

Again, sorry for taking so long to respond but with a wfie, kids, and a job it takes me a while to do anything that just involves me!

I will update yall after the offshore trip to let you know if it solved the issue or not.

Topic author
camarox00

Postby camarox00 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:30 am

So was able to finally get out in some choppy weather and she read awesome! was able to read in 3 ft waves and pick it up to 40mph when it calmed down and it read great also! Turns out the updating the machine was all it needed.

Thank you for the help guys!

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”